Carrot Creek Fuel Modification, Banff National Park 2006-2007
Project consisted of 3 components:
1. Harvesting of designated timber on 32.11ha of mixed spruce forest.
- Selective cutting of designated stems.
- Bunching of timber.
- Skidding to designated landings.
- Processing of merchantable timber.
- Hauling of merchantable timber to sawmill.
- Collection of residue and waste into burn piles.
2. Mulching/Mowing of 12.0 ha of pine (Pl) forest.
- Mulching of all conifers under 15cm DBH.
- Piling large accumulations of dead and downed wood.
3. Hand cutting and piling of 7.5 ha of mixed spruce/ pine (Sx/Pl).
- Cutting of all pine under 12.5cm DBH, all dead stems under 15cm DBH and all spruce stems under 17.5cm.
- Piling debris into 3m X 3m X 3m burn piles.
Modify forest fuel levels to provide a defensive area to protect the community of Canmore on the eastern edge of Banff National Park.